Honors in Major

To be eligible to graduate with Honors-in-Major, Biology majors must complete 16 credit hours of honors courses at the 500 level or higher in one or more of the biological sciences, including a minimum of 4 credits in BIOL 799, Honors Research/Thesis; and maintain a minimum GPA of 3.40 overall, and in courses required by the major.  Biology majors wishing to be admitted to the Honors-in-Major program must first consult with the Biology Program Honors Liaison, preferably before the beginning of the junior year.

Honors-in-Major Program Description:

Students are required to maintain an overall GPA of 3.40 as well as a GPA of 3.40 in major-required course work.

To be awarded the B.S. degree with Honors-in-Major in Biology the student must complete at least 16 credits of honors courses at the 500 level or higher in the biological sciences.  At least two courses must be at the 600 or 700 level.  A maximum of 8 credits can be in BIOL 799, Honors Research/Thesis.

You may complete the 16 credits of honors course work by one of two methods.  You may either enroll in honors courses offered by any of the biological sciences departments, or, with the agreement of the course instructor, you may complete additional assignments (research papers, complementary readings, etc.) that will constitute an honors experience in any 600 or 700 level biological science course in which you are enrolled. 

If the latter method is chosen the additional course work must be agreed to in writing by both you and the instructor before the beginning of the term.  To complete the process and receive honors credit for the course, you must notify the Registrar's Office with a "Change of Honors Designation Form" (available in the Time and Room Schedule) signed by you and the instructor.  The deadline for notification is shortly after the beginning of each semester, generally coinciding with drop/add deadlines.

Enrollment in BIOL 799 requires that you complete a research project approved and supervised by a biological sciences faculty member, write a research proposal, a thesis on your research, and orally communicate the results of your research.

For further information please see Honors in Major Guidelines.

Contact:  Honors Program Administrative Assistant, Spaulding Hall 117, Maria Shortt (maria.shortt@unh.edu)